Here is a guide to various online resources for atheists, agnostics, nontheists, freethinkers, skeptics, secularists, etc. Please drop us a line if you have a site and you would like it linked here.
Activist organizations that support atheists/freethinkers/secularists and church-state separation.
- American Atheists — “American Atheists, founded by Madalyn Murray O’Hair, is dedicated to working for the civil rights of Atheists, promoting separation of state and church, and providing information about Atheism.”
- American Humanist Association — “Mission: to be a clear, democratic voice for Humanism in the United States, to increase public awareness and acceptance of Humanism, to establish, protect and promote the position of Humanists in our society, and to develop and advance Humanist thought.”
- Atheist Alliance International — An organization of independent religion-free groups and individuals in the United States and around the world.
- BHA marketing group — BHA members promoting the secular worldview to the broader public.
- British Humanist Association — “Homepage of the British Humanist Association, a secular, non-theist organisation supporting secular causes, with ceremonies, campaigns, a newsletter and group meetings.”
- Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain — “Open the ex-muslims and atheists, the council promotes freedom of expression, supports the secular community, and fights mistreatment of members (and others) on supposedly moral religious grounds. Aims to become the true voice of the moderate community.”
- Freedom From Religion Foundation — Activism: protecting the Constitutional principle of the separation of state and church.
- Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia — Activism: to promote the Constitutional principle of separation of church and state and to educate the public on matters related to a nontheist lifestance.
- International Humanist and Ethical Union — The world union of Humanist organizations.
- Margaret Downey — “She is an activist in several organizations, including the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia.”
- Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers — US military community and activism.
- UK Armed Forces Humanist Association — “The UK Armed Forces Humanist Association (UKAFHA) is a growing body of servicemen and women, their Families, Veterans and civilian members of the Ministry of Defence who seek to represent the interests of all those who subscribe to non-religious beliefs.”
There are now almost too many atheist-themed blogs to list. However, Mojoey maintains a blogroll of atheist, agnostic, and skeptical blogs that has about 1000 members. His criterion for being listed is that a blog should be written from an atheist, agnostic, or skeptical point of view, though it need not be limited to that sort of subject.
Join the Atheist Blogroll
Online messageboards with an atheist/freethought/secularist slant. Several of them are offshoots of earlier boards, so some of them are grouped by family.
- The Internet Infidels family
- Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board — Successor of the Internet Infidels Discussion Board; one of the largest atheist-themed messageboards on the Internet.
- Fundies Say the Darnedest Things! (old) — “Chat and discuss things with other FSTDT readers, suggest a new feature to make this awesome site even more awesome. Although many members are atheists, there are plenty of christians there as well who aren’t particularly fond of fundies either. “
- Fundies Say the Darnedest Things! (new) — Board of fstdt.net, successor of fstdt.com, which is now read-only.
- Heathen Hangout — “A secular humanist discussion board and community for non-theists, whether atheist, agnostic, pantheist, freethinker etc.”
- Heathen Hub — “A forum board, open to everyone, for discussing atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, logic and life.”
- Rants ‘n Raves — The one and only Rants ‘n Raves.
- Secular Café — “The Secular Café provides a venue in cyberspace for people who want to socialize, share support, and debate or discuss intellectual subjects such as religion, science or politics in a relatively civil and friendly environment.”
- Talk Rational! — A Republic of Freethought; a discussion forum dedicated to freethought and rational discussion with people of all beliefs and non-beliefs.
- The Richard Dawkins family
- Herd of Cats — “Licking milk off our whiskers”
- rationalia.com — “Friendly rabid atheists (mostly)”
- rationalskepticism.org – Rational Skepticism Forum — “A lifeboat for the rational mind…”
- RichardDawkins.net Forum — at Richard Dawkins’s site. It is currently shut down and will get reopened in a more blog-like format.
- Thinking Aloud Forum
- Atheist Forums — “An Infidel-Guy project; a community website for freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and believers.”
- Atheist Network — It is not a bashing board nor is it a brainiac board but rather a community of atheists as diverse as nature itself.
- Atheist Parents — Has resources for bringing up children without religion.
- BHA Science Group — “Science group of the BHA. No qualifications necessary, but one must be a member of an affiliated group.”
- BHA Vegetarian Group — The vegetarian group of the British Humanist Association.
- Faithless Forum — “A humble abode for atheists, agnostics, deists, and other freethinkers alike.”
- ForoAteo.com — “Foro privado de ateos y ateas de todo el mundo, para debates y crítica de la religión (Private forum of atheists worldwide, for debates and criticism of religion) (in Spanish)”
- Freethought Forum — To promote freethought and support freethinkers in the kind of interactive environment only a group can provide. Not viscousmemories’s and livius drusus’s forum with the same name.
- The Friendly Atheist Forum — For readers of Hemant Mehta’s blog
- Gnawed.com Forum — “Religion gnaws at society, people, etc..”
- Graveyard of the Gods — Freethinkers’ Discussion Board; with a libertarian slant.
- The Infidel Guy Forums — Hosted by the Infidel Guy, an online radio broadcaster.
- The Rational Response Squad — “Believe in God? We can fix that”; “We’re your friendly neighborhood atheist activists!”
- Raving Atheists — Only sheep need a shepherd.
- Sam Harris’s Board — At the site of the author of The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation.
- Think Humanism — is a thriving UK-based humanist forum that welcomes anyone of any world view who is interested in humanism and freethought.
- Why Won’t God Heal Amputees Forums — At the site that asks about the absence of that sort of miracle.
Libraries edited by their owners, though some of them do accept contributed articles.
- Atheist Parents — Articles about raising children without religion.
- Ebon Musings — Ebonmuse: “An atheist’s perspective on life, the universe and everything. Original essays and humorous articles on atheism, theism, gods, religion, faith, the church, the universe and existence in general.”
- Fundies Say the Darndest Things! — “An archive of the most hilarious, bizarre, ignorant, bigoted, and terrifying quotes from fundies all over the internet! The FSTDT archive is the largest collection of fundie quotes on the planet. It was started by the late Richard Allan Glenn.”
- Internet Infidels — A drop of reason in a pool of confusion; dedicated to defending and promoting a naturalistic worldview on the Internet.
- Project Reason: A Non-Profit Dedicated to Reason — Founded by Sam Harris, it is “a nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.”
- Skeptic’s Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon — Its annotations cover: Absurdity, Contradictions, Cruelty and Violence, Family Values, Good Stuff, Homosexuality, Injustice, Interpretation, Intolerance, Language, Prophecy, Science and History, Sex, and Women.
- Who’s Who in Hell — “A handbook and international directory for humanists, freethinkers, naturalists, rationalists, and non-theists.”
- Why Won’t God Heal Amputees? — “The most important question that we can ask about God.”
Libraries where you can create and edit articles as you can do in Wikipedia.
- Atheism at Wikia
- Celebrity Atheists — An offbeat collection of notable individuals who have been public about their lack of belief in deities.
- Errancy Wiki — For arguments about errors in the Bible.
- FreethoughtPedia — “A central repository of philosophical, scientific, scriptural, and historical arguments and commentary on the Freethought movement.”
- Iron Chariots — The Counter-Apologetics Wiki: criticism of common religious arguments.
- Rational Wiki — About pseudoscience, antiscience, fundamentalism, and the like.
Organizations dedicated to promoting atheism/freethought/secularism and to providing community services for atheists/freethinkers/secularists.
- American Atheists
- American Ethical Union
- American Humanist Association
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- Anti-Discrimination Support Network
- Atheist Alliance International
- Atheists for Human Rights
- Atheists Meetup
- Center for Inquiry
- Council for Secular Humanism
- David Mills
- Delaware Valley Chapter (PA/NJ/DE), Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- First Freedom First
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia
- Godless Americans Political Action Committee
- Institute for Humanist Studies
- International Humanist and Ethical Union
- James Randi Educational Foundation
- Margaret Downey
- Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
- Military Religious Freedom Foundation
- National Center for Science Education
- New Jersey Humanist Network
- People for the American Way
- Progressive Secretary
- Rational Response Squad
- Restore the Pledge
- Richard Dawkins Foundation
- Scouting For All
- Secular Coalition for America
- Secular Student Alliance
- Society for Humanistic Judaism
- The Interfaith Alliance
- The Out Campaign
- The Skeptics Society
- Atheist Foundation of Australia
- Australian Freethinker Social Clubs
- Australian Skeptics
- Council of Australian Humanist Societies
- The Humanist Society of New Zealand
- New Zealand Association of Rationalists and Humanists
Note: the Beacon Wiki is now defunct, and some of its content now resides at Atheism at Wikia.